Castro, Baez homer, Tigers sweep Royals Willi Castro and Javy Báez homered to lead Detroit over the Kansas City Royals 10-3 on Thursday for a three-game sweep that moved the Tigers out of last place in the AL Central. Basketball, invented in 1891 by James Naismith, and volleyball, invented four years later by William Morgan, are both quintessentially modern sports. Both were scientifically designed to fulfill a perceived need for indoor games during harsh New England winters.
- Monuments to the Pharaohs indicate that a number of sports, including swimming and fishing, were well-developed and regulated several thousands of years ago in ancient Egypt.
- SBJ I Factor presented by Allied Sports features an interview with Kate Johnson, a sports industry veteran who is Google’s director of global sports, media and entertainment marketing.
- All signs now point to Minnesota Twins shortstop Carlos Correa opting out of the final two years and $70.2 million remaining on his three-year deal with the team.
- The reigning AL MVP pitched no-hit ball into the eighth inning and extended his hitting streak to 14 games as Los Angeles pushed its winning streak to four with a 4-2 victory over the Oakland Athletics.
- ESPN immediately disowns projection that has Warriors as 8-seedOne ESPN model has the Dubs in the play-in, but its creator quickly disowned the projection.
Amateur participation in sport at lower levels is often called “grassroots sport”. It is common for popular sports to attract large broadcast audiences, leading to rival broadcasters bidding large amounts of money for the rights to show certain fixtures. The competition element of sport, along with the aesthetic appeal of some sports, result in the popularity of people attending to watch sport being played. A wide range of sports were already established by the time of Ancient Greece and the military culture and the development of sport in Greece influenced one another considerably.
High school sports
— South Carolina tailback MarShawn Lloyd wasn’t expecting much stadium atmosphere Thursday night. He and the Gamecocks got a bigger surprise than they could’ve imagined. CLEVELAND — Small plastic strips dangled from the ceiling in Tampa Bay’s clubhouse, which had been cleared of furniture and prepped over the final innings for what was supposed to be a wild, wet celebration.
Islanders forward knows new season could decide his fate with team
It is a necessary part of some sports , and it is used in others to improve performance. Other meanings include gambling and events staged for the purpose of gambling; hunting; and games and diversions, including ones that require exercise. Roget’s defines the noun sport as an “activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement” with synonyms including diversion and recreation. Records of performance are often kept, and for popular sports, this information may be widely announced or reported in sport news.
(All 16 emperors of the Tang dynasty [618–907] were polo players.) As with most sports, the vast majority of polo players were male, but the 12th-century Persian poet Neẓāmī commemorated the skills of Princess Shīrīn. Moreover, if numerous terra-cotta figures can be trusted as evidence, polo was also played by aristocratic Chinese women. Liverpool loanee Arthur Melo found himself in a situation alien to most Brazil internationals when made his third appearance for the Reds last week.
All sports recognised by the IOC or SportAccord are required to implement a testing programme, looking for a list of banned drugs, with suspensions or bans being placed on participants who test positive for banned substances. The competitive nature of sport encourages some participants to attempt to enhance their performance through the use of medicines, or through other means such as increasing the volume of blood in their bodies through artificial means. Motorised sports have appeared since the advent of the modern age. ‘Sport’ means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.” Every day, Yahoo Sports presents a fast-paced focus on the hottest topics in sports using a provocatively entertaining voice and a surge of unique visuals delights.